Sunday, April 5, 2015

Malahide in Ireland

Malahide is the Talbot family castle in Ireland.  It is located north and east of Dublin.  If you picture Dublin on the map similar to Boston, it would be around where Gloucester is to Boston.  It is easily accessible by train from Dublin.  This never got posted when we were in Ireland so I decided to post it today.  I thought it would go into the Ireland section not the Italy....but oh well, here we are.



The castle was built in the 12th century.  It evolved from a basic fortification to an elaborate residence through many additions and alterations.










Talbot coat of arms


Care to join us for dinner?

The gallery of ancestors to scrutinize which utensil you lift!


I came here with my sister-in-law Gwen.  We had a great day.










Unfortunately all my notes are at home and I am here in Italy so I haven't filled in much. Sorry..
I do know that the last surviving resident was Rose Talbot.  She deeded it to a National Trust in the 1970's then moved to Tasmania.  It operates as a museum.  The gardens around the castle serve as a lovely park.
At the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment