Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Campus/ Arriving in Dublin


My sister in law came to visit us for 2 weeks and asked me what could she bring for me.  I said I needed some more coffee filters (they have big ones when you can find them) Another side note here is that Ireland drinks tea. Coffee comes instant and not usually ground.    I asked her for a package of chocolate chips because again when you can find them ,the pack is the size of coffee cup and cost a Euro fifty which is about $2.19 depending on the day. She brought me 144 oz or 9 pounds of chocolate chips. I asked for a bag of Crasins and now have 96 0z. and a huge bag of roasted peanuts.  They have peanuts in a shell but they aren't roasted.  The last article was a box of wipes.  I got a dozen!  So I am very well supplied for the next year too!  Thank you Gwen you are very generous :-)
Anyone else coming, I won't ask.
A picture of the campus library. Thought I should show you some of the beautiful campus.

 We have taken a bus to Dublin for a few days. Here is the hotel we stayed at which is in the heart of  Temple Bar area.   Below is a picture that comes on the TV. I guess they were expecting me!
 Our room which is nice but a little crowded moving between the bed and the desk.  The shower is truly an experience.  I put the water on with the top knob and within seconds the bathroom was wet.It came from the black head of the long wand. I had the door open to test the temperature of the water and the water went through me, past me, and above me and the top of the shower doors.  I wondered why the door had water damage to it. Now I Know!!  In the future I am sending in someone else first to figure it out.






 This is our elevator door. It was pretty funny.

 As we arrived in Dublin it was raining.  We had a walk from the bus to across the bridge and to try and find our hotel.  This was the first little pub we passed and turned into.  It was tempting to start with a whiskey since we were chilled to the bone not to mention, wet.  We were good and ordered onion soup and coffee.  The soup tasted very sweet: almost like molasses but it was good.


Temple Bar area. Here the Handel's Messiah was first sung on 13 April 1742.  This once busy area began to decline and in the 1980s Bus Eireann was going to demolish the buildings and build a bus terminal. In the meantime the houses were rented and this started the artsey community of shops and restaurants that it is today.
 Laundro-mat but if you can read the sign, it says wash, dry, and fold for ten Euro...Just thought this was cute.

In different parts of the world there are different ways to buy liquor. Here you tell the guy behind the window, pay for it through a slot, and he will open another slot to have you pick it up. A protection for them.  In Autralia I saw my first drive up liquor store.  Really bizzar for me.

 Dublin is divided by the River Liffey

Bronze statue of Molly Molone peddling her cockles & mussels.

and of we go!  Cheerio :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment