Saturday, September 28, 2013

I have arrived in Ireland-day 1

Day 1- Here I am in Ireland.  I arrived at 6AM and started to unpack. There is our flat on the right of the picture which has little room for much of anything. After I unpacked, I started on organizing the kitchen, the living room, and then our bedroom. David just groaned!! Poor guy but he knew it was coming. :.)

 After David's classes we went for a walk for our dinner .  The weather is nice in the 60's. It was nice to walk across the courtyard and see the familiar statues diving into a pool. The building with the steeple is where we will all meet Wednesday with our students for a pizza dinner. I will bake some cookies for them to break them in! As I have walked the campus and said hi to our past friends, they all remembered my cookies. It is a good thing I brought some chocolate chips with me as you can't get them here.
 Just an idea of how vast the fields are.  We cross these on our way to dinner.  A mere 2 1/2 miles.  It seems everywhere I go it is at least 2 1/2 miles!

 Here we are at Nelligan's Pub with Mary.  She gave me a big hug and brought us 2 bowls of Guinness stew and 2 pints of Genuiness to go along!  Welcome to Ireland..Yea!  When David had to stay longer with a sick student last time, Mary had invited him for Christmas dinner. Just an example of the Irish hospitality; nothing like it.
 After dinner we went to pick up a few groceries. Here are the carts that you put 2 Euros in, unchain the cart and when you are finished, you hook it up again and get your 2 Euros back. Slick!
A view of the market. Things are still not together.  Napkins for instance were in the beginning of the store with paper plates and the very last aisle had paper towels, baggies, and the beer.  Go figure. They need me of course to organize for them. :o)
So my first day has ended and I still haven't slept.which is more than 31 hours.  
Till we meet again.    Cheerio  Marti.

No comments:

Post a Comment