Monday, November 28, 2011

Kilkenny- my last trip before I leave Ireland

The road side is just beautiful in Ireland.. green and lush and this is the end of November.
  The Kilkenny castle with its pretty gardens that go on for acres.- 50 acres to be exact.The castle was built in 1172 and home of the Butler family from 1391 for 500 years. The last relative lived in Chicago.  The castle was handed over to the state for a mere sum of 75.  The castle has an impressive 150foot  long gallery of artwork.  The rooms are done in bright  colours, one is robin egg blue!
I tried to get us side by side...We are in front of the castle courtyard.

Walking down through the town.

Arcade open to many more shops.

This is called a carriage way..You actually push up your grocery cart or baby pram.
This store made me take a double take and a walk backwards!  It is a fish pedicure. You wash your feet and stick them into these tanks.  The fish will eat off any dry skin.  I was tempted to try but we had to move on...too bad

The Rothe House built in 1594-- a tutor-era merchant's house. You step back into medieval time as you walk through.
Front view of the Rothe House.
This is where Smithwick's Ale is brewed.  Unfortunately for us it is closed on Sundays. The beer is Dave's favourite.
We had an early dinner here only built here in the 1300s and operating continuously as a tavern.  The inside was decorated with the period of time.
But in the ladies room I found this:  a curling iron that cost 2 euros to use.  I haven't seen one of these at home in the ladies room, have you?
The things we see in Ireland- my camera didn't know what to forcus on.
I really don't know why the Irish aren't fat.  At just about every block is a candy store. Every jar is filled with something new. I haven't gone in yet.
As we make our way to the car the night begins and the planet Jupiter shines over the castle.

This will be my last blog for Ireland as I will be leaving in a few days.
I thank all those that took the time to read it and I hope that I have given you some good insight to Ireland and its history. I still have trouble with the hundreds of years old things are. Ireland is a beautiful country and the people are so warm and friendly. They are happy to do anything for you even if it is out of their way. Life and things go on even if it is raining. It is bittersweet as I leave.
When you plan a trip next, come to Ireland and see what I have found. You won't be disappointed.
Cheerio :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment