Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Antarctica Day Danco Island and Port Lockroy day 10 - a lot of pictures

Day 10 Feb 7th 
Off to Danko Island and Port Lockroy 
  
We are at 64. 45 S and 62.45 W  cloudy 25 mph winds and 35^  it didn’t seem like there was any wind though when we got up, it was blowing!

This day will have lots of pictures.. this was a very special day with seeing the animals and seeing the absolute beauty of Antarctica.

A reference for the s
Just hoping not to hit any big ones!! I went up on the bridge to see how they did manage to move through these.  crunch crunch.......
These two maps show where we crossed and then the routes we did everyday through the islands.

                                                                 This guy is really close!!!
                                         We are off the Danco Island for a quick viewing and hike
.

                                          I couldn't get them to come to me..

Deb, Chris David and Evelyn


                                                        Penguin highway behind us!
                                  A Skua coming in to try and steal some penguin babies.

                                                              I was able to capture this Skua.


                       This what the snow looks like,,red from Krill and green for regular poop
For those that are brave or foolish we had the "polar plunge". I brought my bathing suit to do it but thought I probably shouldn't because of my history of A-fib.  I didn't want to go back there. We had the biggest number of plungers on a trip. so tempted ...

The bankings are hundreds of feet high.

The scenery is just breathtaking.. sorry i have so many pictures..





In this picture you can see how small the zodiac is to the height of the ice. We are heading to the British station.
                                We saw very few boats or ships in the 2 weeks we were there.
                                                                                                            An old dog sled below.



                                                    Baby and parent..
 He is crying for his mom "feed me I'm hungry!" and when the parent lands he or she puts out a cry for the baby to respond so they can find the right kid among all the others that are crying ...feed me..
I can't get enough of these guys!! And I am really close to these guys - a foot away or less.

These pictures are of the station that has been turned into a museum


The station is still is operation but they are in another building.
Old radios with one modern one -the last picture.

                                              I am just spread out because I am so tired.
Doesn't get any better than this.


thanks mom for my lunch




These are the Antarctic Cormorants

                                            leaving the station on to our hunt for seals!

            This guy just looks like a rock in the distance but he is a Leopard seal. closer look below.


                                  Two crabeater seals  It is a perfect day catching all the kinds of seals!!


Weddell seal
Elephant seal

Thy boat is so small

No comments:

Post a Comment