Friday, February 5, 2016

#16 Havana -home

This is our last night and we are off to dinner and a show at the Tropicana Club. This is the original.  The shows are reminiscent of those of the big band era.  They were very colorful with many musicians and dancers!
















The university where our guide taught English.

We are traveling around Havana and passed the American embassy.

Before we left our area, Sharon had arranged a tour of the bunkers at the National Hotel. It was too cold and rainy for the tour.  I was so disappointed.
Since we couldn't go to the bunkers we took advantage of the short line for ice cream!  
The line is usually around the block and there are two lines, one for the locals with CUPs and the other for tourists using CUCs.





They also have two counters- one for a custard style ice cream and one for vanilla.  Then you need to choose whether to have cookie crumbs on top.  
The other thing that amazed me was that they buy their ice cream at the counter and never take it out on the street.



It was quite a wait to get our seats and we had to separate according to the flavor we wanted.
You then got a glass of water which I quickly warned them all not to drink as I could see where it was coming from :-(
How many scoops and with cookie crumbs or not?
Two girls for our counter and the big cost for this treat was about $.25. 
Bonanza!
As I was packing I looked out the window and saw this lady doing her laundry. I couldn't resist taking this picture.

We are heading home today.  We had no trouble getting to the airport and David and I had no trouble getting our luggage on but some had to rearrange their suitcases and carry on stuff- some had to pay a dollar for each pound over.  If we had pooled the right suitcases together we could have avoided the cost maybe.
We thought two of the students were going to live here as they had lost their visa.  No problem- a long wait in line and $20 later they could join us on the other side!
We are ready.
Some one is happy to go home :)



























Our trip has come to an end. I felt I have learned more researching the information when I returned home than I knew before and during my trip. 
Here are some of my thoughts.
The cars didn't phase me as I grew up with them and after the first hour I was there, it seemed very normal. The money was interesting but I am used to using different currency. They are crazy with two systems....but I hear they are going with one. Time will tell.
I loved the fact that everyone gets to be educated for free. I love the fact that the medical is free but I don't like that they can't get the medicine they need.
I expected the buildings to be in better shape and not so poor and dilapidated.
I was shocked that they had only gotten internet a year ago. I thought they were more in touch with the world than that.  I was also surprised how many tour buses were there and cruise ships as I thought the island was just opening up.
I found the people very friendly and wonder why they are so nice to us when we did everything we could to hurt them. Yet they are looking forward to having us come and bring them money.
I would go back in about 5 years to see how things have changed. We as Americans need to lift the embargo and let bygones be bygones.
Ciao:-)






1 comment:

  1. It will interesting to compare your trip to my 3 trips in tbe 80ies when we travelled to brake the blockade. I went with Global Exchange, who were you traveling with?
    Can you show me how to do a nice blog like you have here when we meet for the 50th? I am as far as Iowa today.

    ReplyDelete